Authors: Nicholas Ottaiano, Ganesh Sanekommu, Christopher Koller, Wayne Hellstrom, Allen Morey, Omer A. Raheem
Key Words: Priapism, Penoscrotal Decompression, Refractory Ischemic Priapism
The video covers the etiology and multiple causes of each subtype of priapism with a special emphasis on a newer surgical technique, penoscrotal decompression. Outcomes after distal shunting have low rates of success in cases of refractory ischemic priapism lasting more than 48 hours. Current American Urological Association (AUA) guidelines recommend proximal shunting following a failed distal shunt; however, proximal shunting is no longer common practice due to the technically challenging nature of the procedure. Corporal decompression via a penoscrotal incision has recently emerged as a viable alternative to proximal shunting with favorable outcomes. In the video, we describe the technique in a step-by-step fashion as well as the preoperative workup and outcome.
Disclosures: The authors have nothing to disclose
- Montague DK, Jarow J, Broderick GA, Dmochowski RR, Heaton JP, Lue TF, et al. American Urological Association guideline on the management of priapism. J Urol. 2003;170(4 Pt 1):1318-24.
- Salonia A, Eardley I, Giuliano F, Hatzichristou D, Moncada I, Vardi Y, et al. European Association of Urology guidelines on priapism. Eur Urol. 2014;65(2):480-9.
- Muneer A, Ralph D. Guideline of guidelines: priapism. BJU International. 2017;119(2):204-8.
- Sikka SC, Hellstrom WJ, Brock G, Morales AM. Standardization of vascular assessment of erectile dysfunction: standard operating procedures for duplex ultrasound. J Sex Med. 2013;10(1):120-9.
- Fuchs JS, Shakir N, McKibben MJ, Mathur S, Teeple S, Scott JM, et al. Penoscrotal Decompression—Promising New Treatment Paradigm for Refractory Ischemic Priapism. The Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2018;15(5):797-802.
- Baumgarten AS, VanDyke ME, Yi YA, Keith CG, Fuchs JS, Ortiz NM, et al. Favourable multi-institutional experience with penoscrotal decompression for prolonged ischaemic priapism. BJU International. 2020;126(4):441-6.